Total Pageviews

Monday, November 7, 2011

"Watch false lashes become a thing of the past.." - Does Rimmel's latest Mascara live up to it's promises??

So, the tricky minefield that is Mascara! The market out there is literally flooded with so many types - lengthening, volume, defining, curling, thickening...etc etc. Endless benefits that sadly are often  over-promised and under delivered. Mascara is usually cheap enough so I'll place safe bets that most of us ladies have at least a couple in our make-up bags possibly having been drawn in by a new product's promises or indeed (and I am definitely a culprit here) by it's pretty packaging! So as I browsed the shelves in boots this week I could not help but be drawn to the funky orange packaging of Rimmel Volume Flash Scandal Eyes Mascara. It promises scandalous volume and no clumps.... so in the name of research I popped one into my basket....


The Detail:
Ok so when it comes to mascara the challenge is getting the perfect combination between the wand and the erm gloop (formula??) itself. Rimmel are boasting this is their biggest brush ever and by god its BIG. Apparently the combination of the gloop and brush will give, wait for it, 12 times more volume!! Now Rimmel do mascara - they have 8 different Mascara brands many with 3 or more options within that brand - so one would expect they are good at it. Currently there are two options to choose from: 001 Black and 002 Brown. Disappointingly as of yet there is no waterproof one available in the range. So promises of scandalous volume and no clumps seem somewhat high aims for a very reasonable €8.55 price tag but as Boots had a introductory offer of €3 off I figured for €5.55 it's got to be worth a go! (Rimmel Ireland have agreed an introductory €2.50 discount on RRP with all stockists so you will get varying prices depending on where you shop but Boots is the cheapest I've seen)


The Images:
Ok, quite a few images on this one - excuse the poor excuse of a model!

Firstly the fab packaging that caught my eye -
 
The wonderous wand -

And again but beside a regular mascara wand for comparison -


erm finally some dodgey modeling -




The Sciencey Bit:
Right, well my wee tub of mascara unfortunately has no space on it for ingredients (12x Boo!) However Rimmel do provide a pdf copy of all product ingredients on their website, unfortunately it hasn't been updated to include Scandal Eyes just yet. I have messaged them and will make sure to comment below with any updates. In the meantime I have gleaned some info from their website which  states "This Rimmel revolution has 3x the collagen* for plumper, sculpted lashes, 3x the keratin* for strong and healthy lashes.." Now I am a little dubious as to the presence of the asterices and despite numerous checks and attempts to find the small print they relate to  as of yet I have not.

The Conclusion:
All in all I was actually really pleased with Scandal Eyes.  I'm not convinced about the plumping effect nor the 12 x volume promised but it is definitely a really solid mascara and a good addition to the make-up bag. The brush is absolutely fantastic - it is full enough and big enough to make sure you completely cover each individual lash which definitely helps with definition and length. I have  read that some find it a wee bit tricky at the roots because the size can lead to smudging but I did not find this and am sure after one or two attempts it should be easy enough to eliminate as an issue. I am lucky in that my natural lashes are quite long so any decent mascara will make a notable impact, hence my preference for a softer brown for the daytime look - I think this mascara in black is, for me, more of a night time mascara but would recommend it for day wear for most. I shall be picking up a brown one this week and give this a confident 2 thumbs up...however I won't be hanging up the false lashes just yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment