Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pulling your hair out?? Check out this Tangle Teezer Review...

Well as my recent blog Homemade "fix my broken hair" Hair Mask highlighted my poor hair is dry, weak, knotty and generally in bad shape following years of colouring, straightening and blow drying. Now while I have steadily been improving it with hot oil treatments, deep conditioning and ahem, homemade masks I did invest in a Tangle Teezer a long time ago following a recommendation. I have been meaning to blog about it for ages so here you go!!

The Details:
Well it's taken the hairdressing world by storm and there has been an awful lot of people raving about it so despite my reservations about it's (in my opinion) ridiculous price tag I figured my increasingly knotty hair lended itself to a product review! Tangle Teezer is the brain child of British hairdresser, Shaun Pulfrey. He came to public attention via Dragon's Den where his presentation was greeted with a less than enthusiastic reception. He looked for £80k for 15% of the business but walked away with nothing after a grilling.  He pushed on however, bankrolling it himself, launching it at Salon International in October 2007 and the company has gone from strength to strength since.

The idea came to Shaun while working as a colourist and realising that there was a need for a better detangling tool. Four years in the making and the Tangle Teezer was born. They now come in a variety of colours and designs all which can be viewed on the company website. I opted for the original in bubblegum pink for this review.

This usually retails at €9.99+ (depending on where you are purchasing - Hair Salons seem to charge more!). I picked mine up in the ever wonderful McCabes Pharmacy as part of a promo paying only €5.99, reduced from €9.99. I checked out Boots to see what they are charging  -  in their OMNI Park branch it is €14.53 but even worse it's €15.24 in their Dundrum branch. My advise on this one - shop around if you are keen.

The Images:

The Tangle Teezer in it's new packaging:

 
The new hair care guide that comes with it





 Out of it's packaging:



A side view so you can see the teeth:
 


Not pleasant I know but a direct comparison of hair pulled out by Tangle Teezer versus my paddle brush over a similar period of use (you actually can't see the base of my paddle brush for all the hair - ick!!):



The Sciencey Bit:
The brush is completely made of plastic with specifically spaced out teeth of 2 different lengths. These teeth flex through knots and tangles without locking or pulling. It's claimed that this process also helps smooth the hair's cuticle which in turn protects the inner cortex from damage. Reduced cuticle damage can result in reduced colour fade and indeed more lustrous locks.


The Conclusion:
Well in all honesty I'm not convinced. It definitely has less of my hair on the teeth after brushing than any other brush I use but it doesn't exactly glide through my wet hair as I had hoped and expected it to. Instead it remains a battle with me having to slowly work through my hair section by section from the ends all the way up to the roots. It's lack of a handle does not help whilst doing this. However, on my dry hair it is great, really great! It glides through my hair and detangles quickly and painlessly. 

I have heard many people rave about this product which piqued my interest originally. Especially influencing for me was the review of a mum of a little beauty with a head full of curls - she said prior to the Tangle Teezer brushing hair was a total nightmare with tears and tantrums guaranteed with each and every attempt.

While I can see that it does work I'm still not convinced re. the price versus payoff. More often than not I reach for my super large Head Jog paddle brush to sort out my wet hair if in a hurry and yes it takes out more of my hair and probably does more damage but its faster! Where it wins brownie points for me is its size and design lend itself beautifully to be a perfect handbag brush. Furthermore its rather unpleasant and almost garish plastic design is a bonus in this regard as it is easily washed and dries quickly. Personally I find handbag brushes seem to get clogged up with all sorts of crap so this is a big bonus in my opinion.

All in all I'm undecided, it disappointed in the very area I was hopeful yet provided other benefits I wasn't expecting. Do any of you have them? If so, let me know your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment