Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ombré nails - love or hate them?!

Well the ombré trend is only growing stronger and stronger with more celebs donning ombré hair (which personally I'm loving). So while I am a fan of all things beautifully co-ordinated I struggle a little with the thoughts of multiple colours on my fingers...but in the name of research and for you my lovely readers I figured I should give it a try!


The Details:
Well the word ombré comes from french meaning shaded or shading. It's been borrowed by the fashion world to describe extreme bayalaged hair (with dark roots graduating lighter down the length of the hair), garments, lips (which are immense and every time I sport this look i get tonnes of compliments on them) and finally the seemingly least popular ombré trend - nails. So there are two ways to achieve the ombré trend on your fingertips and that's either with the graduation of colour on the individual nail or across all 5 fingers. The first option is the harder to achieve in my opinion so I went for the latter for all you at home diy-ers. (besides it just helps justify my every growing collection of polishes with varying shades of the same colour!!). I first tried it when I couldn't decide what colour top to wear on a night out but had to get my nails done hours earlier. I was toying with yellows and oranges for my outfit so figures if i did both on my nails I was free to choose either top! The second one was because I'm still undecided so thought something bolder may work..its really strange for me as I hardly ever wear blue polishes opting for the turquoise and pastel blue/green options but unsurprisingly I found many a blue in my polish collection so there you go!!

The Images:
The yellow/orange attempt:
Polishes Used from L-R (Pinkie to thumb!): Leighton Denny Brick Road, Catrice Bye, Bye Birdie!, Leighton Denny Bon Bon, Essence Marble Mania Peaches, Barry M Peach Melba.


The blue/green attempt:

Polishes Used from L-R (Pinkie to thumb!): Glo Baby Glo! (discontinued Penneys Brand) Electric Blue,  MUA Shade 9, Glo Baby Glo! Cyan, Bio Sculpture Turquoise Teacup, Catrice Am I blue or green?

The Sciencey Bit:
Well apparently there is quite a bit of psychology behind ombré. If you look at the beautiful animals designers take their inspiration from, cheetahs, leopards, zebras and peacocks for example, you will notice that all of these have shading and markings that draw our eyes to them. There is research that shows sexual selection is linked to these adornments in the animal kingdom so humans now are replicating these adornments in a contrived manner!!

The Conclusion:
Honestly?? I'm not convinced! I think they definitely achieve their goal of being eye catching and have a very definite pro of justifying my array of polishes in varieties of one shade. In reality however I reckon most normal, non obsessed people probably would not have 5 bottles of gradients of one polish shade and therefore can be costly to achieve. I'd recommend either buying some Catrice or Essence polishes to achieve the look without breaking the bank or some brands are now bringing out ombré packs so you don't have to do the work of shade matching. This would also help avoid another negative I found while wearing a multitude of polish brands - different nails had different wear/chip resistance with one poor brand ruining the entire look far to quickly.

Both sets above got lots of comments when I wore them but often it was someone telling me they liked one particular colour. I did however get an awful lot of compliments with people really loving the look. Personally I reckon nails look much prettier when they are all of uniform length and colour. Ombré is just too haphazard for me in this regard! I reckon the gradient on one nail only may be more to my liking... that way I'd still have 10 matching fingers! I would however LOVE to do the ombré hair look in brown to blonde... think its fab!

No comments:

Post a Comment